Transport for London’s Public Carriage Office is responsible for licensing both London Taxis (the recognisable “Black” cab) and London’s Private Hire Vehicles (typically ordinary saloon cars). Taxis can be hailed on the street whilst Private Hire Vehicles must be booked with the company concerned. Because of this difference, property found in Taxis is handled differently to property found in Private Hire Vehicles.
Property found in a London Taxi is handed in at a London police station and forwarded to the TfL Lost Property Office. Property can take up to 5 working days to arrive at the Lost Property Office.
You can enquire whether your property has arrived at the Lost Property Office in one of the following three ways:
1. You can enquire in person by visiting the Lost Property Office (near Baker Street Underground Station) between the hours of 08:30 and 16:00, Monday to Friday with the exception of bank holidays.
2. You may make a telephone enquiry by telephoning 0845 330 9882 between 08:30 – 16:00, Mondays to Fridays excluding bank holidays.
3. You may make a written enquiry by either:
- Posting or faxing a letter.
- Completing the on-line form
The details that you need to provide are:
- Your name, address (and email address if you have one)
- Details of property lost – as much detail as you can provide
- Details of where and when the property was lost
- For mobile phones, it is essential that you supply details of the phone make and model, mobile phone service, and either the IMEI number of the phone or your SIM card number. Due to the quantity of mobile phones received, individual mobile phones cannot be identified without this information.
Postal enquiries should be sent to the following address:
TfL Lost Property Office
200 Baker Street
London NW1 5RZ
Fax enquiries should be sent to:
Fax: 020 7918 1028
Property can be returned to you in person at Baker Street or by post. A restoration fee, award for the taxi driver and postage costs need to be paid in advance before your property can be restored to you. The following fees are payable:
Restoration fee: Depending upon property type and value
Award fee: Depending upon property type and value
Restoration post: Depending upon weight and size
Please make sure that you are given a receipt for any fees you pay.